#25 - Talking for Erin
Kristina from Vancouver lost her sister Erin in late 2013, 7 years at the time of recording this podcast.
In this powerful episode Kristina describes how her family decided to talk about what her sister couldn’t – mental health. The COVID lockdown has given Kristina time to pause and consider how to best talk about her sister’s suicide. She has started training for an Iron Man event and thrown herself into learning everything she can about mental health and suicide.
As both sisters who have lost a much loved sibling, we discuss:
- How to talk about suicide.
- The difference between mental health and physical health.
- The challenges of supporting others through their mental health.
- How Kristina felt she wanted to defend Erin.
- How best to try and understand suicide without ever knowing the full truth.
- Handling social situations and how others can best support us.
- Grief and gratitude.
Please listen with care and know there are people out there that can help and support you.
Within the UK:
Samaritans - Free on 116 123
Suicide&Co - Free on 0800 054 8400 Mon-Friday 9aam-9pm
Within the US:
Suicide Hotline: Free on 1-800-273-8255 or text 742741
Anywhere else in the World:
Contact me here: [email protected] and we will see what is available in your country.
Or find me on Facebook - Suicide Grief Support
The links you need from this episode: